Pages

Thursday, September 16

Question of the Week: Why can't you nap?

Naptime.

Oh, those sweet precious moments when the house falls silent, dirty lunch dishes sit patiently, and my life appears to be my own. For 17 glorious minutes, I believe it to be true.

Such a bold-face lie.

Mamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamama


The name calling starts innocently enough.

My preschooler will settle down, I foolishly tell myself as I log into the Times to see the headlines.

Mamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamama


If I'm quiet, she won't know I can hear her, the denial rising in my self as I switch from the Times to Facebook.

Mamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamama

Hmmm. She will pull herself together, that denial so strong a moment ago now teeters on acceptance as I move to check email.

Mamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamamama


Uh oh. Only two beings can hear that high-pitched screech: the toddler and me. I quickly go through what will happen if I let it continue. It's not good.

The toddler will wake up angry from her slumber and start crying. No. Wailing. And she will not go back to sleep. Ever. I do not want to release THAT Kracken.

It's time for an intervention. So I stop pretending that I control my life and go see what's keeping my preschooler from sleeping.

It's Tinker Toys. Apparently, they make noises and turn into marshmallows. How can I expect her to sleep with all that action?


0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails