Pages

Thursday, September 2

Sending God to Voicemail

God keeps sending my calls to voicemail. I mean, come on, I know that He is home. Pick up or at least text me to say You got my message.

Okay, I admit that I don't always answer when He calls either. I'm busy. He knows I can't talk when I am at home with my 4-year-old and 2-year-old. I'm lucky to go to the bathroom by myself on some days! Plus, when I do answer God's calls, He asks me do stuff like quit my fancy job, become a stay-at-home mom, and move from North Carolina to North Atlanta. That wasn't exactly on my To Do list last year or any year for that matter.

So, yes, sometimes I don't take His calls. But shouldn't he always answer my calls?

I continue to re-learn that sometimes God doesn't answer because He already has. I know I tell my children to stop asking me the same question over and over again because I have already answered it. As future members of a Senate-hearing committee, my girls inevitably ask a follow-up question: But why? (The pitch of the whine is directly proportional to the length of nap time.)

God works that way in my life, too. I ask a question. He answers. If I don't like the answer or I wasn't listening (Top Chef is on!), I ask again. And again. And again. When I finally hear His answer, I ask the same follow-up question as my preschoolers...But why?

You see. I prefer for God to reveal His entire plan for my life. Right now. As in pronto. Then I could, you know, plan around it add it to the family schedule.
  • Kindermusik on Monday.
  • Grocery store on Tuesday
  • Ballet on Thursday.
  • God's plan on Friday.
Unfortunately, God prefers me to follow the plan for my life that He has already revealed. Apparently, He has a lot of moving parts and plans could change.

So for today, I will answer His call. And maybe next time, God won't send me straight to voicemail.

After all, I only have one question..."but why?"

1 comments:

Reckless said...

Always such a smart one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails